The Iraqi thinker Ahmed al-Qubbanji has been released today. He will hold a press release in Baghdad today!
The Iraqi Civil Society Solidarity Initiative (ICSSI) supports the demands and the campaigns launched by the Iraqi organizations and activists. They are demanding the release of Iraqi thinker Ahmed al-Qubbanji, who has been detained since February18th , 2013 in Iran by the Iranian intelligence service “Ettila’at”.
Activists and supporters of freedom of thought in Iraq have shown a great interest in this issue. The number of signatories to the electronic campaign in Modern Discussionhas reached more than 1500 signatures, while fast-growing groups and similar campaigns are spread across the social networks and Facebook pages.
Tenths of Iraqis organized a demonstration in front of the Iranian Embassy in Baghdad and others gathered in al Mutanabi Street on Friday, February 22.
In its turn, ICSSI supports the call for urgent action launched by Amnesty internationaland adopt the demands that came in (listed below). The ICSSI calls for all its members, friends and supporters of freedom of opinion and expression to do the following:
- To deliver the below demands to the nearest embassy or consulate of Iran,
- To deliver copies of the letters with the demands to the nearest Iraqi Embassy
- To inform us about your contribution in delivering the demands by sending news or photos about your activity to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the initiative’s social network: http://icssi08.ning.com/ or through the initiative’s page one Facebook http://www.facebook.com/solidarityinitiative.icssi
Amnesty International demands adopted by the ICSSI :
- Calling on the authorities to immediately disclose to his family the whereabouts of Ahmed al-Qubbanji, urging them to ensure that he is given, without delay, regular access to his family, lawyers of his own choosing, consular assistance and any adequate medical treatment he may require;
- Urging them to protect him from torture or other cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment, such as being forced to give a televised “confession”;
- Seeking the reason for his arrest and expressing concern that he may have been arrested in connection with the peaceful expression of his views, in which case he should be released immediately and unconditionally.
Finally we stress that ensuring the safety of Iraqi citizens and the enlightened thinker Ahmed al-Qubbanji is the responsibility of the authorities that arrested him and also the Iraqi Government, who must move urgently to ensure his safety and his release and return immediately to the place of residence in Baghdad.