Appeal for Urgent Action
To Release Iraqi intellectual and thinker, Mr. Ahmed
Al-Qubbanji, arrested by Iranian authorities
We are very concerned for the fate of the Iraqi intellectual and thinker, Mr. Ahmed al-Qubbanji, who was arrested by the Iranian authorities in the city of Qom on 17th February 2013. The reasons for his arrest are unknown. Our concern about his fate is mounting because of the circumstances of his arrest and their ambiguity. We are extremely worried that he could be exposed to ill-treatment and that his life is threatened, especially because the Iranian authorities have until now neither revealed his whereabouts nor stated the charges against him.
We look forward to your solidarity and urgent action, based on your humanitarian responsibilities and moral obligations, as dictated by human conscience and your commitment to international law and international conventions and norms, which stipulate respect for human rights and ensuring freedom and human dignity. We call for immediate action to ensure the safe return of Mr. Ahmed Al-Qubbanji to his country, Iraq. We also appeal to you to act speedily to find out about his needs and to ensure that his full rights are protected.
Please accept our respect and appreciation for your efforts and human conscience.
- National Union of Iraqi Journalists
- Press Freedoms Monitor
- National Association for Defending Human Rights
- Masarat for Cultural and Media Development
- Iraqi Women’s Network
- Iraqi Amal Society
- Tammuz Organization for Social Development
- Information Centre for research and Development
- Masalla Organization for Human Resources
- Popular Action Organization (PAO)
- Time Centre for Youth Development
- Iraqi Society for Sport Development
- Workers Cultural Centre
- Iraqi Society for Pensioners
- Iraqi Women’s League
- The General Union of Students
- The League of Iraqi Students