Welcome to the Shahrazad Campaign page!
Who we are: We are civil society activists who support and protect the rights of women. We seek to educate and empower women in Iraq, and call on the Iraqi government to meet both national and international standards relating to human rights, violence against women and sexual harassment.
Our mission: We are dedicated to the protection of women’s rights, from young girls who are forced into marriage too soon, to women human rights defenders and journalists active in the field. We believe that women should play an active role in government and public life. We aim to raise awareness, and to mobilize civil society and public opinion against all forms of violence against women.
Our challenge: As customary laws and norms in Iraq tend to be patriarchal they often curb and limit the rights of women in employment, in education, in politics and within the family. Our aim in the Shahrazad Campaign is simultaneously to respect the deep and rich traditions within Iraqi culture, and to ensure that women are fully empowered citizens.
- To expand legal services within a Shahrazad Service Centre in Baghdad (provide resources and support for WHRDs and other activists; maintain the Shahrazad legal clinic for the training for new young lawyers; educate on issues related to legal protection of WHRDs according to Iraqi and international law).
- To provide deeper analyses on the risks that WHRDs are facing all over Iraq through focus groups, trainings and workshops on the protection of journalists, unions, lawyers, HR activists in NGOS and on social media; provide recommendations for government officials and other stakeholders.
- To maintain the Digital Legal Clinic already established by the campaign, which provides support and resources needed by WHRDs to confront online and offline risks.
- To raise awareness and advocate for WHRDs and women in general about the importance of participation in local and national political elections.
- To expand the role of women in political life, ensuring that they are active in government and its institutions, both at the national and local levels.
AlMasella Organization, Iraqi Women’s Journalist Forum (IWJF), Iraqi Civil Society Solidarity Initiative (ICSSI), Iraqi Social Forum, and Un Ponte Per…and you!
- For WHRDs seeking technical assistance, see ‘Tech4Shahrazad’ Facebook page.
- For updates and news about Shahrazad activities and events, click here.
- Or you can Like our Facebook page “Shahrazad“.
- Or send us an e-mail at: email@example.com