11 July, 2014
In the face of the vicious terrorist onslaught against our country, and the inability of the ruling political blocs to fulfill the constitutional obligations in the aftermath of the recent elections, ninety civil society organizations have signed this declaration to launch the Civil Initiative under the slogan: “Achieving Civil and Societal Peace to Defeat Terrorism and to Ensure the Construction of a Civil Democratic State”. Defeating the schemes of evil terrorists requires, at the same time, correcting the course of the political process and dismantling the sectarian-ethnic power-sharing system, as well as defending the freedoms of opinion and expression and human rights, ensuring media freedom, respecting ethnic, religious, sectarian and cultural diversity in our society, and combating financial and administrative corruption.
The Civil Initiative is seeking, through its multifaceted peaceful movement, to deal with the current existential crisis by the following means:
- Organizing meetings with the political forces in order to find a common national platform to get out of the crisis.
- Encouraging dialogue between various social strata to contain the tension, and stop sectarian and ethnic agitation, in preparation for convening a broad national conference.
- Issuing an electronic information bulletin to inform the public opinion about the ongoing developments in a transparent manner without falsification.
- Holding a meeting with the representatives of the United Nations to exchange views, develop a support system for the political process and preserve the unity of Iraq.
- Contacting representatives of the diplomatic corps in Iraq to discuss the national affairs and to help contain the crisis and confront terrorism in accordance with international obligations.
- Mobilizing national, regional and international efforts and relief organizations to address the destructive effects of the armed conflict on civilians and the displacement of thousands of families to other areas lacking the most basic means of human life.