Welcome to the Freedom of Expression and Press Campaign!
Who we are: Freedom of expression and press campaign is a supporting campaign that struggle for the freedom of expression and freedom of press in Iraq, and for the respect of international standards by the Iraqi government. The campaign is supporting local journalists on reforming the journalist’s law, which does not conform to international standards of freedom of expression.
Our Challenge: Independent Iraqi journalists are working to amend the so-called “journalists’ rights law” that describes the role of the journalist as working to promote the actions of government authorities and threatens freedom of the press in Iraq. Working through the Iraqi Federal Court and the Parliament, journalists aim to ensure that Iraq meets its international obligations, under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to guarantee that “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression…freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”
Objectives of the Campaign: The Iraqi Civil Society Solidarity Initiative (ICSSI) supports the demands and the campaigns launched by the Iraqi organizations and activists. They are demanding the release of Iraqi thinker Ahmed al-Qubbanji, who has been detained since February18th , 2013 in Iran by the Iranian intelligence service “Ettila’at”.
Ways you can get involved:
- Stay up to date with the Latest News about our campaign’s actions and freedom of expression and press in Iraq.
- Sign to demand for the release of the Iraqi thinker Ahmed Al-Qubbanji from here.
- We want to make information accessible about freedom of expression and press in Iraq. Here you can find Documents and Resources.
- You can like our Campaign Page on Facebook and share it with friends.
- You can also follow our Hash-tag: #Freedom_of_Expression